SMOKY SHRIMP AND CORN SOUP
PointsPlus Values: 6
Serving Size: 1 cup
2 Tablespoon olive oil
2 stalks celery with leaves, thinly sliced
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon paprika
2 cup fat-free half and half
1 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound shrimp
Heat oil in large pan over medium heat. Add celery and onion and cook about 5 minutes. Add flour and paprika and cook 1 minute more. Remove from heat. Add the half and half, whisking until smooth. Add corn and salt. Cook stirring constantly until thick, about 3 minutes. Add shrimp and cook stirring often until shrimp turn opaque, about 3 minutes. Garnish with scallions or cilantro.
Cucumber Pomegranate Salad
Makes 12 side-dish servings
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 Tbsp. Champagne vinegar (or plain white)
Salt and pepper
1 1/2 pounds fennel bulbs
1 seedless (English) cucumber
1 Granny Smith apple, halved, cored, and very thinly sliced
1/2 cup fresh pomegranate seeds (from 1 pomegranate)
1. From lemon, grate 1/2 teaspoon peel and squeeze 2 tablespoons juice. In jar with tight-fitting lid, combine oil, vinegar, lemon peel and juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Shake well. Dressing can be refrigerated up to 2 days.
2. Pluck 2 tablespoons fennel fronds from fennel tops and reserve for garnish. Trim and core fennel. With adjustable-blade slicer or very sharp knife, very thinly slice fennel. With vegetable peeler, peel alternating strips from cucumber skin, then thinly slice cucumber crosswise at an angle. (I sliced the fennel and the cucumber in my food processor.)
3. On large serving platter, layer fennel, cucumber, and apple. Shake dressing again and drizzle all over. top salad with pomegranate seeds and fennel fronds. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt all over.
About 85 calories per serving. 1 g protein, 8 g carbohydrates, g total fat (1 g saturated), 2 g fiber, 0 mg cholesterol, 120 mg sodium.
Weight Watchers: 2 PointsPlus Values
No-stick cooking spray (like Pam)
1 pound uncooked pasta, rigatoni or penne
3/4 pound fat-free cottage cheese, smoothed in food processor
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes, or more to taste
Crushed fennel seed, to taste (optional)
½ tsp. dried basil leaves
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
4 cups marinara sauce
½ pound shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350º. Coat bottom and sides of a lasagna pan with cooking spray.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions; rinse with cool water and drain.
3. While pasta is cooking, in a medium bowl, combine blended cottage cheese, red pepper flakes, fennel, basil, 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, and 1/3 cup marinara sauce.
4. To assemble ziti, spoon ½ cup sauce on bottom of prepared pan; top with half of pasta in an even layer. Evenly spread pasta with cottage cheese and herb mixture; cover with half of remaining sauce. Top with remaining pasta and spoon remaining sauce over top; sprinkle with mozzarella and remaining tablespoon Parmesan.
5. Bake until cheese melts and is browned, about 20 to 30 minutes. Allow ziti to sit for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing into 12 pieces.
6. Yields 1 piece per serving, each PointsPlus™ Value: 6
Wendy's Chili Knockoff
1 lb extra lean ground beef; browned
2 cans Ranch style beans, sauce and all
1 can diced petite tomatoes
1 jar salsa
Combine everything in a slow cooker, and cook on low all day. Makes 6 BIG bowls, for 6
PointsPlus Values, each!
Crockpot Chicken Stroganoff
Makes 6 servings
5 PPV per serving
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken
1 container (16 oz) fat free sour cream
1 packet powdered onion soup mix
1 can fat free cream of chicken soup
1 small can mushrooms
Add all ingredients to crock pot. Cook on low for 6 hours
Crockpot Tortilla Soup
Makes 6 servings
6 PPV each
1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
15 oz whole tomatoes
10 oz enchilada sauce
1 medium onion, chopped
4 oz chopped green chilies
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups water
14 1/2 oz fat-free chicken broth
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 whole bay leaf
1 cup fresh or frozen corn
6 whole corn tortillas
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp chopped cilantro
Cook and shred chicken. Combine in crock pot with all ingredients except tortillas, oil, and
cilantro. Cook on low 6-8 hours or on high 3-4 hours. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut tortillas
into strips and place on baking sheet, brushing lightly with oil. Bake 5-10 minutes or until crisp.
Immediately before serving, sprinkle tortilla strips and cilantro over soup.